Recently I was interviewed by health coach Julie Smith from www.juliesmithcoaching.com.
We had a frank discussion about what functional medicine is; how this approach to healthcare is different; and why it’s so powerful. Watch the video and for more information on the who, what, what and how of functional medicine read more here.
Who is a functional medicine practitioner?
Examples of practitioners that practice functional medicine can include Nurse Practitioners, Physicians, Chiropractors, and Acupuncturists.
What is functional medicine?
Functional Medicine focuses on identifying and addressing the root cause of disease, not just symptom treatment. Functional medicine examines every factor involved including symptoms, genes, environment, and lifestyle factors to treat the causes of disease, not just the symptoms. A functional practitioner will:
- Focus on the root cause of symptoms to guide treatment
- Take a holistic view of the entire body rather than a collection of separate systems
- Examine the body, mind, and spirit connections to determine both physical and emotional aspects of disease
- Aim to improve the body’s innate healing ability
- Partner with patients allowing both parties to actively participate in treatment
Why should I seek out a functional practitioner?
Functional Medicine has been proven to help a wide range of conditions including:
- DIGESTIVE DISORDERS (irritable bowel syndrome, ulcers, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, acid reflux, leaky gut, chronic infections)
- HORMONAL PROBLEMS (thyroid conditions, menstrual irregularity, pre-menstrual syndrome, and menopause)
- CARDIO METABOLIC CONDITIONS (diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease)
- NEUROLOGICAL AND PSYCHIATRIC CONDITIONS (depression, attention deficit disorder, and migraine headaches)
- AUTOIMMUNE DISEASES (rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and celiac disease)
- SKIN DISORDERS (psoriasis, acne, and eczema)
- PAIN AND FATIGUE CONDITIONS (Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome)
How can a functional practitioner help you?
The main goal is to repair and restore the body’s natural ability to heal by restoring system balance. Since each of us is different, our care plans are unique. Care plans may include:
- Lifestyle changes such and diet and exercise
- Stress management tools
- Detoxification programs
- Nutritional supplements
- Botanical remedies
- Prescription medications
Each plan developed between a patient or client and the functional medicine health professional aims to restore imbalances causing a specific condition or prevent chronic conditions from occurring in the first place. If you are frustrated that you are not being heard, or getting the answers you deserve, I may be able to help. For more information or to schedule a consultation, click here now.