Hormones have a huge impact on our lives, especially as women.
Hormones affect everything from our mood to our weight. Most any pregnant woman or teenage girl will tell you how her moods, weight and even her sense of smell have changed since her hormones took over.
Hormone imbalances can present themselves in the form of skin issues, infertility and even fatigue. Weight gain, abdominal weight, PMS, PCOS or sleep problems and more.
A healthy hormone balance begins with what we put in our mouth.
Not sure where to begin? Start with these 16 ways to help balance your hormones naturally.
1. Begin by eating a well-balanced diet. Eat organic lean meats, fish, fresh vegetables and fruits. Choose a large salad with a small amount of meat or seafood over a white bread sandwich and potato chips.
2. Use real butter or coconut oil instead of margarine, both better for you.
3. Use natural sweeteners like honey, molasses or stevia.
4. Avoid a low-fat diet. Hormones are synthesized from cholesterol. So eating a cholesterol-free diet means your body can’t create the necessary hormones it needs to function properly.
5. Choose healthy fats such as real butter, cream, egg yolks, olive oil, ghee, avocado oil and lard.
6. Avoid man-made, polyunsaturated fats such as vegetable oil, hydrogenated oil, canola oil, soybean oil, margarine and shortening.
7. Ditch the junk food. Junk foods, those high-carbohydrate processed foods found in bakeries and soy products, stimulate hormonal imbalance.
8. Avoid mass market milk, cottage cheese and other dairy products all come from cows with the Bovine Growth Hormone and antibiotics. These steroids and antibiotics are then transferred into the milk and then into your body. These can interfere with the hormonal system.
9. Limit the amount of caffeine you get each day. Caffeine wreaks havoc on your hormones so limit the amount of coffee, and chocolate. Avoid soft drinks. Replace with water with freshly squeezed lemon and herbal teas that are less stressful on your body and help to flush toxins.
10. Get enough sun every day. Just 15 minutes of natural light a day helps restore your hormone balance. Sit outside in the early morning sunshine while you have a cup of tea and read the paper or just sit and breath in the fresh air.
11. Take up Yoga, meditation, Pilates, Tai Chi or any other form of calming exercise that uses deep relaxation techniques.
12. Add alternative healing arts like acupuncture, homeopathy, reflexology and massage therapy to help restore your hormones to a balanced state.
13. Get enough sleep. One of the best ways to get your body back to optimal health is to get the proper amount of sleep each night, typically seven to eight hours. Magnesium contributes to better sleep. It can be taken in powder, liquid or applied to the skin.
14. Use targeted supplements when necessary. We cannot always get the proper amounts of nutrients and sleep. Supplements can fill any gaps found in your lifestyle.
15. Maca is a tuber from the radish family. It boost hormone production and your libido. It’s high in essential fatty acids that are good for hormone balance. It can be taken in powder form or in capsule form. I highly recommend Mighty Maca!
16. Fermented Cod liver oil provides nutrients necessary for building hormones including vitamins A, D and K.
Living a naturally healthy lifestyle is one way to achieve better hormone balance. In addition to looking and feeling great, a balanced hormone system can help you lose weight, reduce stress, and have an improved sex life.
If you need additional support in balancing your hormones, let me help you. Take care Test and have a wonderful week!